Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jan - My attitude is a work in progress...

Okay, so if I can laugh at myself that means life ain't too bad. At least laughing makes life more fun, even if you are laughing at yourself. I have innate ability to laugh at myself over all sorts of actions and things I say. It is an understatement to say, "I crack myself up." Because literally I do. I can be alone at home cleaning and for example turn the wrong way in a place I have lived for over a year and no walls have changed position and smack right into a door jamb as if it just appeared out of thin air. The best is when my son sees me do such a thing because he gets great joy and laughter out of it. I wonder if other people run into walls? I am declaring that if you have ran into a wall and you were completely sober, it means you were having a brilliant thought.

I would like to believe my loves in my life have noticed a happier more better 'attituded' Alina amongst them this past week. Even an Alina with a better attitude than the week before. I think there are moments when this is possibly the case but I certainly don't think I have moved earth with my attitude shift. Which makes me happy. Maybe sometimes all people need for a better attitude is will and possibly a 32 ounce Attitude Adjustment from Spanky's. I will skip the later part of that statement and stick with the personal attitude because honestly daiquiris give me headaches and usually hurt my stomach too.

So much can change in a person's attitude through the course of seven days. I like to think of our personal attitudes on an attitude wheel like a color wheel and with the thrust of a good spin we can be circling out of whack in no time. Being conscious of my attitude has not lessened my spins on the wheel but it has made me aware that I can spin again. And so can you. It is my life so if the situation and attitude combination I find myself in at the moment is less than desirable or at the very least if my attitude is not enhancing my quality of life I can change it. Yes, you read correctly. I can change it. I can make a new path. So this week, I started walking again. I love the LSU lakes and it is a great joy that they are practically in my backyard and on the way home from Bai's school in the mornings. So, when I can I am making time to stop for an hour walk. This time is beautiful to me. I just love the view and I am recharged through the exercise.

I made a dear friend last year and she returned to Louisiana just last week so we had a girl gab session to catch up and of course we are having another one this week because she can talk as much as me which is phenomenal. I admire her. I think she is charismatic and witty and in my honest opinion she has an incredible life. She is a world traveler and she is able to work and play exactly how she dreams. We have many common interests and can converse about anything from culture to language to photographs, you name it and we can have a conversation about it - except like naming political figures because neither of us has much zest for memorizing such facts. She is always upbeat when I see her. Even when her circumstance is less than comfortable she seems to be in a good mood which makes me in a good mood.
Since, I'd started the project while she was gone I explained to her what I was doing and she related to much of my resolutions and personal qualms and areas of focus. And once she connected with me on a few areas of focus (I refrain from using the word issues when speaking of myself, makes me feel broken) I was recharged to keep with my project objective. Her interest and support in the project meant more to me than I realized. In fact, when someone is interested it boosts me to another level. From the start of the project Douglas has offered continued support and the other day an email from my Aunt made my day and when someone tells me they read my blog I am happy. It is extremely uplifting to feel supported and it definitely boosts my attitude.

A friend made this reply when we were talking about happiness, "I don't have money and people assume I do because I travel to various places several times a year, but what they don't realize is I live modestly, I eat at home, I ride a bicycle, I am conservative when making luxury and frivolous purchases and I am happy with my choices because they contribute to the life I want." When she said this to me I thought, that is what I want. To be happy with the choices I make daily and to have my daily choices reflect my life.

No comments: