Monday, March 8, 2010

March - Parenting a.k.a. The care and feeding of lifeforms that possess all your best and not so best qualities

So, it is March, the Parenting month [yikes]

I feel inadequate to write anything on parenting but since I am merely charting my progress it is okay. I definitely am in no position of authority to shell out advice. The main thing I want out of this resolution is a reality check. A reality check in the sense that I am maximizing my parenting, participating as genuinely and constantly and with joy and conviction. I want to methodically approach parenting.

In January, I learned that my attitude needed some TLC and I am a work in progress. The best thing I've learned from my resolutions thus far is that I am in control. It is easier to say what I want and will tolerate (not scream it, not yell it, not sarcastically remark it) and then and only then walk away. Stand firm in my views and hold my children accountable. Do we squabble? Do I raise my voice? Do we annoy one another in our cozy 700 square feet that we share? Do I want breaks? Do they want breaks? Do we love one another? Are we kind to one another? Do we help one another????? Of course we do. We do all these things and more. We are human and constantly progressing and becoming comfortable and confident with the individuals that we are. The greatest gift I can give my children is love. However, there is an equally pertinent gift for survival in the world and that is responsibility. I feel that people must be responsible. Be aware of your actions. Be aware of your presence on this planet. Be aware of your role. Be aware of your surroundings. Be coherent. Be attentive. The world does not revolve around you. For everything you receive from this world you need to pay it back. So many people of my generation feel and believe (I use the term loosely but I must include it because it is what I think) that they are owed something, if not everything. Who is your mama that somebody owes you something? Huh? What makes you so special? Is it because we were raised being told we were special and the world is ours for the taking? Okay, well you are special and that means you should do twice as much work to make an impact because since you are special you can handle more. How's that sound? I want my kids operate this way. I want them to know that they are special, largely in part because they are mine [wink, wink, I am a mama], but more because they are American born kids, born into a life of privilege completely by chance, because they are provided with education aligned with diversity and culture as well as performing arts, and because they are indeed responsible for the world. You may be thinking I should come down off my soapbox and get a hold of myself but I am serious.

I want to successfully bestow in my kids a sense of responsibility that they actively participate in the world by educating themselves, communicating effectively and working diligently with each other, family, friends, teachers, bosses, neighbors, and effectively anyone they meet. I feel like I am on the right track. And with my focus this month on parenting I will have a greater grasp of my accomplishment in a few weeks.

No comments: