Monday, February 15, 2010

February - Love is in the Air

February is my relationship month. And I want to make clear that I am also examining my relationship with myself. I realize this is an obvious observation since this whole blog is dedicated to the discovery of happiness within myself and in my environment; but I feel it necessary to state that it is important to have a grasp on our relationship with our own self. If we do not trust, love and respect who we are then I truly believe we cannot receive trust, love and respect from others and furthermore, it seems unfair to do so.

So, I am examining the relationships and bonds that are closest to me as well as creating new ones. I made a new friend last week. We met for coffee and chatted and shared business ideas and the differences we face as women in our careers and in our lives. She and I shared traveling memories and stories of Katrina and more. It was a very pleasurable meeting that inspired me. I hope to see her next week at a meeting she invited me to attend.

I love my siblings. I have fond memories with each of them. It often feels hard to get connected. I see other families that have an effortless connection. They meet on one coast for a family vacation or the girls all meet up and share a girls dinner while the guys watch the kiddos and play cards, or families who live near one another and see each other constantly and sisters who share clothes and books and such. I think this is beautiful and I hope and pray that my children are able to capture and maintain a bond that strengthens with love and joy. So, in an effort to let my siblings know I think of them and love them. I emailed or briefly messaged with all but one of them this month thus far. It isn't that there was anything profound to say and I am not interested in debating the past or discussing what we should of done or should do, but I want them to know I love them and I am proud of them. I have two strong sisters who are very successful in their chosen professions. I have a brother who one of the most talented artists I know and a great Daddy to his little girl and I have one other brother who is doing what he can to discover what he wants in the world through a carefree vagabond lifestyle. I think we are all progressing and that is great to me.

I've realized that I can only control my aspect of the relationship. I cannot place an unfair or unclear expectation onto someone else. I am the commander of me and I can choose what I want in life. I can choose to move forward and make the best of situations. I can choose to embrace love and celebrate my relationships. I can choose to connect consistently with the ones I love. I do not have to have relationships like those of my peers. Their relationships may not work for me. I need to be true to myself and appreciate my connections.

Being true to myself also aligns with taking care of myself. I owe it to me to make me priority. I can set my own pace in life and I am responsible for achieving the most of my days. Productivity in my life starts with yoga. I use yoga to reflect, embrace, let go, push, recharge and relax myself. For me, it is best that I practice at night. I sleep so well and best of all wake up well when I am consistently practicing. When you are feeling well and healthy you change small things, you eat healthier because it continues to make you feel better, you pay attention to your body and are able to maintain ailments better. Even if I can get fifteen minutes of yoga in before settling in for the evening it is worth it. Being me and remembering to enjoy who I am is critical in relationships with myself and others.

And lastly, I celebrated the most amazing Valentine's Day of my life yesterday. Thank you baby.

No comments: