Wednesday, September 15, 2010

June----> Travel

June --->Travel
*Embrace traveling and see Spain
*Travel with purpose - never forget that it is a journey and an observation

To travel is living. I absolutely love to travel. Even when the trip seems less than pleasant I'd still rather be traveling. I feel the most me when I travel (whatever that actually means) and I feel free. My desire is equivalent to my need for oxygen. My body breaks down during a dormant period and I become antsy and aggravating and unpleasant to be around. I know this happens and thus I try my darndest to travel when I can.

I am an avid travel photographer and spend most of my time in another place behind the camera. But I always take moments to not photograph certain things and just observe with every fiber of my being that I can muster where I am, the smells and sounds, the colors, the shapes, the language. I try at best to embrace the environment and feel the pulse of the area. Every city has a distinct pulse and I want to define my map in such a way. For instance, New York City is a magical city, the awe-inspiring bustle and character seduce you and you fall madly in love; Chicago is a green city, a place of amazing architecture in substance but to me lacking in the love buzz that New York releases; Los Angeles is a city of dreams and all things West, in LA you can enter the fantasyland of Hollywood and Beverly Hills and take a drive down to Huntington Beach all in the course of a day; New Orleans is a city of home, you are welcome whenever and for as long as you please, there is always an extra bowl of gumbo and a cold beer waiting, the trolleys will welcome you to cruise beautifully oak lined streets from multi-million dollar homes to project ridden areas and all the way to the Riverfront, you will always have NOLA in your heart; I want to know what cities are like all around the world.

In June I did not travel to Spain but in July I did and I loved the experience. I also went to Paris. Douglas and I landed in Paris on Bastille Day and stayed for 7 nights at an amazing apartment we rented on HomeAway.com. We relished in the sights of Paris. We walked the streets til we were so tired we nearly collapsed to sleep at night. We would wake early and select a new arrondissement to explore. We took the train to Versailles and for one magical day we were exported to heaven. We laid on the lawn near the canal and succumbed to the ecstasy of the sight before us. The Palace was breathtaking, the gardens immaculate and the weather impeccable.

We continued our amazing trip in Spain. We stayed in Madrid for six nights and explored the city. We took a train further north one morning to El Escorial and toured the monastery. Spain was unexpected. I loved the safety and vibrancy of the city but I missed the fulfillment of life I felt in Paris. We braved the masses and attended a BullFight and though the evident massacre of the animal was more than I wanted to see, it was amazing to be a part of the culture. To see the enthusiastic audience cheer and shout for the town favorite was an enjoyable spectacle. We returned home as different people. People who are more accepting of others and cultural traditions. We returned wanting more.

To view images from our trip visit my 365 project :)

http://365project.org/alinataylor/365/2010-09-05

No comments: